Monday, November 06, 2006

Remember my description of feeling the rush of wings as Canada geese fly overhead?
Basic dribble. Forget about it. Erase it from your memory banks.

I'm an idiot.

Did you know geese poop like dogs?
Well, some like dogs, some like cats, it depends on the goose.
How would I have known this without spending time these days walking the trail that winds around the pond off of Camelot Drive.

Yeesh, there is no possible way to use this beautiful walking path, complete with fashionable gazebo, without stepping on goose droppings, and believe me, droppings doesn't amply describe the mess.

It looks like someone walked 10,000 St. Bernards after they were fed very cheap dog food. The pond is packed with birds.

To make matters worse, you need a wide-brimmed hat to avoid the fall-out from the frequent fly-overs.

In the past I've covered stories on the geese abatement program, the egg shaking plan, at Lakeside Park on Lake Winnebago. It went on for a couple of years after park-goers complained the ball diamonds were so laden with goose gifts players were actually slipping on it.

At the time I, the peacenik at heart that I am, thought "Why can't we all get along, live in harmony with these creatures???"

That was before I stepped in it myself.

Please, beautiful birds, can't you hang out somewhere else, like Illinois?

No comments: